Run-of-mine adj : 1: UNGRADED, UNSORTED, CRUDE, UNREFINED: not ground or treated 2: ORDINARY, MEDIOCRE, RUN-OF-THE-MILL <run-of-mine college graduate> 3. Ore or coal as it comes from the mine without grading or sorting for size or quality

4. That last run, the one that keeps you going back for more – it’s yours and yours alone.

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Year? Get some goals!



Well, yeah.  I guess it’s that time of the (New) year again.  Normally I'm not big on making New Year’s resolutions.  And it’s not because I think I’m perfect just the way I am.  I’m not THAT guy.  Sometimes I wish I were, but that’s a whole other story.  Since I’ve been running (somewhat) seriously for better than a year now, I think that it would be good for me to set some running goals for the coming year.  I got 4 half marathons in last year, which I feel good about.  One of them was even a trail half, which was cool. 

Soooooooo, in no particular order (because that’s how I roll), here are my goals for the this running year:
  1.  Run two full marathons: I’m planning on one in the spring, and one in the fall.  I’ve actually already signed up for the first one – the Med City Marathon in Rochester, MN on Memorial Day weekend.  It’s a small-ish race, and form all of the reviews that I’ve read, it seems like a fun, easy-going weekend.  Plus, they have a kids’ marathon, in which the kids run 25 miles in the months leading up to the weekend, and then run the final 1.2 miles on the Saturday.  Both of my kids are up for it, so it’ll be a fun weekend all around.  Plus, we found a little waterpark hotel in Rochester for us to stay in.  The second full marathon that I’m aiming for the venerable Twin Cities Marathon, which runs literally 2 blocks from my house. (Well, not for the whole 26.2 miles.  That would mean something like 645 laps of my block, which would be sort of boring.  Although it makes me think of this story that I read once…)
  2. Run 1200 miles:  I’m also setting out a mileage goal for the year, which I haven’t done before.  I’m gong to shoot for 1200 miles this year, which, if the calculator ion my hope is working (and I have every reason to believe that it is), means I’ll need to average 23 miles a week.  Seems doable, especially if I’m going to train for two marathons.  Plus, the upside is that I will handily beat The Proclaimers.  The best they could do is to walk 1,000 miles.
  3. Run a 5K with each/both of my kids: Boy is 12 and Girl is 8.  Each of them, with a bit of training, could easily run/walk and very likely run 5K.   We’ll pick races based on the swag, of course.
  4. No injuries: Well, this kind of goes without saying.  I’ll take a bit of luck to go along with a sensible running plan, added to a day a week of cross/strength training (WHAT?!?!?!?!?) to get this one.  I hope.


That’s it, kids.  What do you have cooking for goals, running or otherwise?

No comments:

Post a Comment